1. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling (Vac-N-Fill) or Cooling System Draining and Filling (Static F ill).
2. Remove the crankshaft rear oil seal. Refer to Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Replacement.
3. Remove the turbocharger oil return pipe nuts from the top o f the flywheel housing.
4. Remove the upper oil pan. Refer to Upper Oil Pan Replacement.
5. Remove the oil filter.
6 . Remove the flywheel housing bolts, denoted by the black circles.
7. Separate the flywheel from the cylinder block using J 37228 . See Special Tools .
8. Remove the flywheel housing.
9. Remove the turbocharger oil return pipe gasket from the flywheel housing.
10. Remove the oil cooler adapter bolts.
11. Remove the oil cooler adapter and gaskets.
12. I f required, clean and inspect the flywheel housing. Refer to Engine Flywheel Housing Cleaning and Inspection .