1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
2. Remove the oil pan skid plate.
3. Remove the engine protection shield.
4. Inspect for loose or missing bolts at the following locations:
• Engine mount bracket to engine
• Engine mount frame bracket to frame
• Engine mount to engine mount bracket
• Engine mount to engine mount frame bracket
5. Replace missing or loose bolts. Refer to Engine Mechanical Specifications .
6 . If the vehicle is 4-wheel drive (4WD ), you will not be able to access the lifting points on the engine. In order to raise the engine, attach a chain to the front o f the engine. Then follow the inspection steps.
7. If the vehicle is rear-wheel drive (RWD ), in order to raise the engine to inspect the left engine mount, use a suitable jack on the ground wire bolt bosses on the left side of the engine
8 . I f equipped with an automatic transmission, remove the bolt retaining the transmission oil cooler line bracket.
9. Move the transmission oil cooler lines aside.
10. In order to raise the engine to inspect the right engine mount, use a suitable ja c k on the ground wire bolt bosses on the right side o f the engine
11. Perform the following in order to inspect the engine mounts:
1. Raise the engine to remove weight from the engine mount.
2. Place a slight tension on the rubber cushion.
3. Observe the engine mount for the following while raising the engine:
• Heat check cracks covering the hard rubber surface
• The rubber cushion is separated from the metal plate o f the engine mount.
• There is a split through the rubber cushion.
12. Replace the engine mount if any o f the above conditions exist.
13. Install the engine protection shield and bolts.
Tighten: Tighten the engine protection shield bolts to 20 N.m (15 lb ft).
14. Install the oil pan skid plate and bolts.
Tighten: Tighten the oil pan skid plate bolts to 20 N.m (15 lb ft).
15. Lower the vehicle.