1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
2. Place a suitable container under the engine in order to drain the oil.
3. Remove the oil drain plug.
4. Drain the engine oil.
5. Remove the oil pan skid plate bolts and plate, if equipped.
6 . If equipped with a 2-wheel drive (2W D ) vehicle, remove the crossmember bolts and crossmember.
7. If equipped with a 4-wheel drive (4WD) vehicle, remove the crossmember bolts and crossmember.
8. Disconnect the oil level sensor electrical connector.
9. Remove the lower oil pan bolts/nuts.
10. Separate the lower oil pan from the upper oil pan using J 37228 . See Special Tools.
11. Remove the lower oil pan.
12. If necessary, clean and inspect the lower oil pan. Refer to Lower Oil Pan Cleaning and Inspection.