1. Remove the transmission. Refer to Transmission Replacement.
2. Remove the left and right wheelhouse liners. Refer to Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement – Right Side (GMC) or Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement – Right Side (Chevrolet) and Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement – Left Side (Chevrolet) or Front Wheelhouse Liner Replacement – Left Side (GMC) .
3. Loosen the exhaust pipe clamp. Slide the clamp onto the exhaust pipe.
4. If equipped with an automatic transmission, remove the transmission fill tube to bellhousing nuts.
5. Lift the fill tube up from the studs and reposition the tube to the right side o f the vehicle.
The tube does not require removal from the transmission.
6 . Remove the left exhaust pipe heat shield bolts.
7. Remove the heat shield.
8. Remove the left exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold bolts.
9. Remove and discard the exhaust manifold gasket.
10. Remove the right exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold bolts.
11. Remove and discard the exhaust manifold gasket.
12. Remove the lower bolt for the exhaust outlet shield.
13. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling (Vac-N-Fill) or Cooling System Draining and Filling (Static F ill).
14. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Duct Replacement.
15. Remove the charged air cooler outlet duct. Refer to Charge Air Cooler Outlet Pipe Replacement.
16. Loosen the charged air cooler inlet duct connector to turbocharger clamp (1).
IMPORTANT: Do not use a screwdriver or other tool to pry the hose loose. The hose can be torn or damage. Loosen the hose by twisting.
17. Remove the charged air cooler inlet duct connector (4) from the turbocharger.
18. Remove the turbocharger inlet coolant hose from the turbocharger coolant bypass valve.
19. Reposition the hose clamp and remove the turbocharger outlet coolant hose from the turbocharger.
20. Remove the turbocharger outlet coolant pipe banjo bolt and washers.
21. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose/pipe. Refer to Positive Crankcase Ventilation Hose/Pipe/Tube Replacement
22. Remove the EGR cooler pipe bolt.
23. Reposition the EGR cooler pipe (4) out o f the way.
24. Remove the EGR valve adapter pipe bracket bolts (1).
25. Remove the EGR valve adapter pipe bracket (2) and turbocharger heat shield (3).
26. Remove the remaining exhaust outlet heat shield bolts.
27. Remove the exhaust outlet heat shield.
28. Loosen the exhaust outlet clamp.
29. Remove the exhaust outlet.
30. Remove the right exhaust pipe to turbocharger bolts.
31. Remove the right exhaust pipe.
32. Remove and discard the gasket.
33. Remove the left exhaust pipe to turbocharger bolts.
34. Remove the left exhaust pipe.
35. Remove and discard the gasket.
36. Remove the turbocharger oil feed pipe banjo bolt and washer.
37. Reposition the oil feed pipe out o f the way.
38. Remove the turbocharger oil return pipe nuts at the top o f the flywheel housing.
39. Remove the turbocharger bolts.
40. Remove the turbocharger (with the oil return pipe).
41. Remove and discard the turbocharger oil return pipe gasket at the flywheel housing.
42. Remove the turbocharger lower heat shield, if necessary.
43. Remove the oil feed pipe bolt, washer, and pipe, if necessary.
44. If the turbocharger has failed, perform the following steps the verify the condition o f the number 4 camshaft bearing before installing a new turbocharger:
1. Visually inspect for correct alignment o f the number 4 camshaft bearing oil hole through the turbocharger oil supply hole in the block.
2. Turn the engine over by hand 1/2 turn and inspect for camshaft bearing movement, indicating a spun camshaft bearing.
3. If the bearing is spun the engine MUST be replaced.
45. If replacing the turbocharger, remove the oil return pipe bolts, pipe and gasket. Discard the gasket.
46. Clean all turbocharger to engine gasket mating surfaces.
47. If required, clean and inspect the turbocharger. Refer to Turbocharger Cleaning and Inspection