VALVE GUIDES The valve guides are made of powdered metal and are pressed into the…
5.7 Hemi – VALVES & SEATS – INTAKE/EXHAUST – INSTALLATION
1. Clean valves (4,5) thoroughly. Discard burned, warped and cracked valves.
2. Remove carbon and varnish deposits from inside of valve guides with a reliable guide cleaner.
3. Measure valve stems for wear. If wear exceeds 0.051 mm (0.002 inch), replace the valve.
4. Coat valve stems with clean engine oil and insert them in cylinder head.
5. If valves or seats are reground, check valve stem height. If valve is too long, replace cylinder head.
6. Install new valve seals (3). valve springs (6) retainers (2).
7. Compress valve springs with Valve Spring Compressor C· 3422 (1) and adapter 8464
8. Install valve keepers (1) and release tool.
NOTE: If valves and/or seats are ground, measure the installed height (8) of springs.
9. Make sure· the measurement is taken from bottom of spring seat in cylinder head to the bottom surface of spring retainer (8).
10. Install cylinder head (Refer to 9 – ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD – INSTALLATION).