1. Install the cylinder head gasket. Using the Cylinder Head Lifting Tool (303-D098, D94T-6000-B) and Heavy Duty Floor Crane (014-00071), with an assistant, lift the cylinder head and position it on the cylinder block. See Fig. 104. Remove the heavy duty floor crane and cylinder head lifting tool.
2. Install and tighten cylinder head bolts in sequence, using a 3 step process, to specification.
See Fig. 144. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.
3. Clean and inspect the glow plug tip for damage. Install the glow plugs and connect the glow plug electrical connector. See Fig. 103. Tighten glow plugs to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.
4. Install the 4 fuel injector retaining studs and tighten to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Raise and support the vehicle. Install the 2 nuts and bolts in the exhaust manifold and the exhaust inlet pipe. See Fig. 98. Tighten exhaust inlet pipe nuts and bolts to specification.
5. Lower the vehicle. Install the exhaust back pressure tube. See Fig. 107. Connect the high pressure oil line and ensure the fitting is correctly connected. Install the fuel injectors. See FUEL INJECTORS.
6. Connect the heater hose. Install the engine ground strap at the rear of the cylinder head.
Connect the fuel supply line. See Fig. 102. Install the fuel supply line retainer nut. See Fig. 109.
7. Install the rocker arms and push rods. See ROCKER ARM ASSEMBLY & PUSH ROD.
Install the valve cover. See VALVE COVERS. Install the glow plug relay/intake air heater relay and bracket as an assembly. See Fig. 106.
8. On vehicles with A/C, position the A/C compressor mounting bracket and install the A/C compressor mounting bracket bolts. See Fig. 108. Tighten the A/C compressor mounting bracket bolts to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Install the A/C manifold tube assembly to the A/C compressor. Connect the A/C compressor electrical connector.
9. On all vehicles, install the accessory drive belt tensioner assembly.
10. On vehicles with dual generators, install the lower generator mounting bracket. Connect the lower generator electrical connectors. Install the engine ground cable, starter wire retaining bracket and nut. See Fig. 16.
11. On all vehicles, install the drive belt tensioner and the accessory drive belt. Install the turbocharger compressor manifold. Install the degas bottle. Squeeze the clamp and install the degas bottle supply hose. Install degas bottle retaining bolts. See Fig. 6. Squeeze the clamp and install the overflow hose. Install the lug wrench and wing bolt.
12. Reconnect negative battery cable. If vehicle is equipped with dual batteries, connect both negative battery cables. Drain and refill the engine oil and install a NEW oil filter.
13. On vehicles with A/C, recharge A/C system using approved refrigerant recovery/recycling equipment. See RECOVERY, EVACUATION & RECHARGING in GENERAL SERVICING PROCEDURES article in GENERAL SERVICING.
14. On all vehicles, fill and bleed the cooling system. See COOLING SYSTEM BLEEDING.