Inspection: Timing chain elongation
• Support the cam sprocket with
• Align the inscribed lines on the adjusting plate and the nut to adjust the exhaust cam sprocket and the intake cam sprocket positions to their normal installed positions.
• Push the tension lever by hand to make the timing chain taut.
• Measure the amount of elongation of the timing chain (smallest distance between the two chain portions).
• Replace the timing chain if the measured distance is below the specified limit.
Inspection: Backlash between gears
• For each pair of gears, measure the backlash for at least three teeth.
• If any of the measurements exceeds the specified limit, replace the defective part(s).
Inspection: Idler gear and sprocket assembly end play
• If the measurement exceeds the specified limit, replace the defective part(s).