( 1 ) Rear Brake Operational Check
Perform this test in an open area, free of obstructions that could cause
damage to the tractor or other property.
Power brake checks:
1. Start engine and allow hydraulic oil to warm up to a normal operating temperature, if needed.
2. Make sure the brake pedal is free of obstructions.
3. Run engine at 1500 rpm and put tractor in appropriate forward gear to run at 8 km/h (5 mph).
4. Driving the tractor straight forward, firmly press on the brake pedal.
The tractor should stop in a straight line. The engine should labor but not stall.
5. Stop tractor, put transmission in gear, and shut engine off.
Manual brake checks:
1. With engine OFF, apply the brake. The pedal should not bottom out.
2. With the brake pedal pressed, latch the park brake. The brake pedal should remain down.
YES: Brakes operate properly. Go to next check.
NO: Brakes did not operate properly. Note results. Return to diagnosis in process.